Saturday, May 18, 2013

Being a stay at home mom.....isn't that enough?

I've been a stay at home mom for ten years now. Nicholas was 3 years old, when I made the huge decision. It was not hard for me....but it definitely was a big deal.

I was only 18 years old. A baby. I had just become Nicholas's mom and had no clue what I was doing. But I did know one thing. I would raise him the way I was raised. In a good home, with a good support system, and with me....his mom....staying at home with him.

For years I had people tell me I'd regret staying at home. I think people are foolish when they speak, without ever being in the situation themselves. It was not a joke to me. We certainly moved quickly into being a family....but I wouldn't change it at all. I look back and think "what kind of person would I have been if I said, no thank you, I wont have any part of raising your son." What kind of person would I have been if I sat back and watched this little boy grow up motherless? I'd be an awful person, in my opinion. I understand that not everyone can raise another person's child, but I couldn't wrap my head around being anything OTHER than his mom. To this day, I'm thankful I made that grown up decision, at such a young age.

I constantly have questions thrown my way, or random comments about my choices. We all have certain people in our lives that don't utilize their vocal filter, don't we? ;) I want to cover a few of those now.

One thing I get asked a lot is how I can afford to be a stay at home mom with 4 kids. Well one thing is for sure, we budget. For me, I think of it this way. My kids will get over not having name brand everything, all the time. But me being at home with them will have a lasting affect on them. Forever. THAT is more important to me.

I have been asked if I will get a job when William goes into preschool or kinder. My answer.....absolutely not. Period. I've been a stay at home mom for so long now. This is my life. I don't sit at home and just relax all day, shoot I don't do that at all until my kids are all in bed! I enjoy being with my kids, and volunterring in their classrooms. A very important thing to ME, is that I'm available to my kids, all the time. Nicholas knows he can call me at any time, and I can be to his school in a couple minutes. Same goes for the girls. I remember growing up and KNOWING that every time I'd get off the bus after school, I'd walk into my house, that smelt so clean and yummy with my mom there, ready to talk about how my day was. This alone, means a lot to me. I've been here every single day of my kids lives. This is the MOST important place for me as their mother, to be. Here.....for THEM.

I don't feel like I should be rushed into getting some random outside of the home job, just because all my kids will be in school when William is almost 4. I would love to go to school to be an esthetician or something that will interest me, but I refuse to let anything come between me and my kids. I want to be here for ALL of my kids. School functions, volunteering, I want it all. Why is that so hard for some people to grasp?

In my opinion, I'm doing the most important job in the world. I'm raising these children to be good, loving, intelligent people. Why does all of that have to end just because they all go to school? It shouldn't. My job will only continue in a different way. And I'm excited for that. I will be here every step of the way for these munchkins.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment