Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Thankful for each day.

We all go through times in our lives where we kinda need to be reminded to be thankful for everything. To be thankful that we have a home, even if you want a nicer one, to be thankful for the clothes you have, even if you like the ones on pinterest more, to be thankful that you have a house full of happy energetic kids, who sometimes don't listen, instead of being single and kid free.

Nick and I went on our trip to Arizona in February for a couple days, when we came home William was immediately attached to me. Almost as if he felt like I might go away again, so he needed to hold on to me at all times. The first week back I felt a little overwhelmed with all the kids wanting my attention and then having my little William at my leg, begging me to hold him. Let me remind you he is not a baby anymore.....he weighs a lot!

He said "hold me PLEASE!".....and it hit me. Oh my gosh.....he's growing up so fast, and is speaking in sentences! Soon he won't want to stop his busy life, to hug mama. So I scooped up my baby, and I've been holding him ever since. :) Day after day (for 3 weeks now) I've heard "hold me please" from my sweet boy. I've obliged each time. How can I not?

William has taught me so so so much. Mostly, to enjoy each moment. When he had pneumonia at 19 days old, and was in the hospital for a few days.....I was literally going crazy. I was SO not the mom that was cool, calm and collected. No. I was a wreck. I remember feeling angry that I was dealing with all of that. And then I saw some of the other kids in the hospital.....and I came back down to earth. It takes one small moment in life, to smack you in the face and say hey.....what you are dealing with isn't so bad! Put a damn smile on your face, and enjoy each moment no matter what.

Yes, my son was ill, and he was so tiny, but I knew he would be ok. He was being helped and I knew I could take him home after a couple of days. Not all the parents there were able to take their kids home so quickly. Insert reality smack in the face here!

My 4 kids keep my on my toes all day, our days are certainly not boring or dull. There is something ALWAYS going on. Before I went on my trip I felt like I needed a break so badly. Being a stay at home mom is a lot of work, it's hard. I'm not just here doing whatever I want, while the kids stare at a tv, or play alone. No. I'm a hands on mom. I'm interacting with my kids, playing with them, helping them learn, making things, baking together, talking about everything, reading to them, teaching them life lessons, showing them how to be kind and loving. Watching them climb trees, going on walks, giving out high fives and hugs and kisses. I'm doing my job as their mother. Being a true, GOOD parent, is hard work.

I'm thankful for each day though. The days that feel like they go on forever, the days that feel like we all woke up on the wrong side of the bed, the days that the kids just can't seem to get along, and the days that all 4 of my kids need more of me than I can give. I'm thankful for it all. Because they won't be kids forever, and one day (sooner than I'm sure we all think) I will MISS these busy days.

I have healthy kids that are happy, and KIND. They are growing into these amazing little PEOPLE. They have their own opinions and thoughts. I see them showing love to others and I'm proud. I'm doing my job right. When they fight and I see Katie say "ok calm down, you can have the first turn", is why I'm thankful....it shows me that through everything I do, all the hard work....my kids are learning.

I think more people need to remember that your life can be different tomorrow. SO much can change in the blink of an eye. I don't want to look back and feel like I didn't enjoy it all enough. Or that I could have been a better mom, or done more with my kids. So I'm enjoying every step of the way, and being thankful for each day. The good, the bad and the ugly.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment