Thursday, September 22, 2011

B-B-B-Benny and the JETS!

 There is no mention of a "Benny" in this blog.....just came to mind when I was thinking about the jets I will be talking about lol!
 Today I had the absolute pleasure of seeing a beautifully noisy jet fly over our house. They are practicing for an air show that will be held this weekend.
 I seriously forgot about that sound. As most of you know, Nick was in the Air Force for 11 years, and we constantly heard the sound of jets on base. Or even when we lived close enough to the base for the jets to fly over our house every day. Though, I remember hating the noise then. They would fly over my house twice a day at the same exact time, every day. It always seemed to be at nap time too. Hmm!
 I miss that sound. I felt like I was back at home when I heard it. When I saw the jet peak out from behind the huge trees surrounding my neighborhood I couldn't help but feel a little choked up. Is that silly? Nah!
 That sound represents so much to me. Mostly my life in Arizona. We all know I miss it....so we won't get into that! ;)
 I remember being LITTLE....I mean like 4 and going on base with my parents (my dad was also in the Air Force until he retired). I'd hear the jets flying, taking off.....or just warming up and I loved it. It was such a powerful sound.
 When I had kids of my own, it felt special to me that I was able to share that same sound at the same base with them. William however has never heard an actual jet. Until today :)
 When I was outside today, I was holding my son and yelling "William look its a jet, listen to that sound!!!".....now that I think of it, he probably couldn't hear over my screeching! Sorry little man! I'm sure my neighbors thought I was a quack for jumping up and down with my son (again....sorry little man) and yelling about a jet. I couldn't help it. I felt like I was showing him a moment that means so much to me.
 It's amazing to me that a sound can bring up so many memories, shoot...so many emotions. I wish I could hear that sound more....and who knows, maybe one I will.
 We will be taking our children (unless William decides to get worse with this little cold) to the air show this weekend. I don't care if its obnoxiously hot. I don't care if my kids whine about the heat and the noise. I'm going to enjoy every single second of it. Especially the sound. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment