Friday, July 19, 2013

Summer fun Day 37!! Melted crayons!

Hi friends!!!! Today is day 37, of our summer fun activities!! I can't believe we've done 37 fun things so far this summer! I must say....I don't hear "I'm bored", nearly as much as I did last summer! ;)

Today was another fun and easy activity. We melted crayons into fun shapes, and awesome new colors! I think this would be perfect to do with all those broken crayons that we find at the bottom of the crayon bucket, but since we really didn't have many broken, I used a new box of crayons. (I've read that some people tried using different brands, but they didn't melt as well, so use Crayola brand to make it easier on you!)


I had Laura help me peel all the paper off the crayons.....which felt like the longest part of the activity. ;)

 
I cut all the crayons up into small pieces.
 
 
We then put lots of different fun colors in each spot of the ice tray, and we decided to use a mini cupcake pan too. We set them outside in the backyard, and began the waiting game. That was the best part. We checked on them every 15 minutes or so, and the kids would get so excited each time they were melted a bit more.
 
 
This is about 5 minutes after we put them in the sun.
 

 
About 45 minutes later......
 

 
And about 30 minutes after that....
 
 
We let them cool in the house for 5 minutes, and then put them into the freezer for 15 minutes to harden.
 
 
They came out of both tray's super easily, and the kids were thrilled to see the outcome!! We made super cute new crayons!
 





 
This was fun for me and the kids, we will absolutely be doing this again, with new ice trays from the dollar store, in new shapes!
 
We loved that when you color with these, they surprise you with new colors, which makes it really fun for the kids!
 
Hope you all try this one out with your kiddos!!  
 
<3
 

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful and what a fun way to learn about changes and do some Science

    ReplyDelete